Te Huruhi Trust exists as a registered Charity (CC43734) to serve the people of Auckland through the provision of various programmes and initiatives that will empower and uplift the lives of all those involved.
Founded in 1997 by Graham Davison and evolving from the Omega Charitable Trust on Waiheke Island which owns and is responsible for the running of Seaside Sanctuary a Resthome facility for the elderly since 1984. Te Huruhi comes from the name of the bay that this Resthome was located in. Te Huruhi is Maori for ‘the dawning light.’
Te Huruhi Trust currently has six Trustees taken from the eastern area of Auckland.
CURRENT AND PLANNED SERVICES
- Recreation Facilities – namely SonSk8 Skatepark and Recreation Centre located at Omaru Lane, Glen Innes. Manager: Paul Glassie. Planned Vert Ramp adjoining existing Street Course. Resource Consent already obtained from Council.
- Kings Kids Playgroup - Training and Education for all ages, currently Kings Kids Playgroup runs from, Monday – Friday 10.00am to 2.00pm. Supervisor:Natasha Takapautolo and Vara Waqasokolala.
- Planned full Pre School / Educare waiting MOE funding but already has Resource Consent from Council.
- Housing – currently limited Transit Accommodation on site for low income people.
- ‘Eastcare’ – Food assistance for the needy and an ‘Op Shop' with clothes donated by church members and others from the community. Manager: Twila Waqasokolala.
- Community Service for Probation Service Clients, Manager : Paul Glassie
- Social Work and Counseling – assisting individuals and families in need.
- Assisting other charitable endeavors when able to offer some level of support.